Saturday 26 April 2014

Unit 4 Fine Art Multiple Images - Photo shoot and working with Photoshop

Carrying on with the Multiple Image theme, my good friend Gemma, (who has helped with my AS and A2 Media Studies and now again with my A2 unit 4 Fine Art) agreed to be my model for a practise photo shoot. :).

I borrowed a Canon camera and tripod from college and using my living room as the studio, I made Gemma move and pose around the room, many MANY times - she was so patient :). The following are just a few of the hundreds of shots taken today.

First of all I wanted to experiment and recreate an Edweard Muybridge movement multiple image - trying saying that several times..........:)

Here's an example of his work taken from the internet:-


Muybridge was the first photographer to capture movement - he used several camera's in a line, set to capture each individual image as his subjects passed by. Muybridge was considered the inspirer of the first moving 'movie' films.

As I didn't have a large studio, to help me capture movement, poor Gemma was set the task of rolling about my living room floor.  Fortunately today it's a lot easier to capture movement using the camera 'fast shutter speed', sort of like Muybridges line camera's in one.

Anyway, back to Gemma:-




I managed to capture this simple line of movement, when the images were cropped and placed together using 'Paint' I ended up with the following...


To create my Edweard Muybridge vintage photograph I used an 'App' that I'd found on my iPhone.

Next I wanted to create a more modern multiple exposure image, similar to those I had found when researching on the internet.  This is one example:-


 I took several shots of Gemma seated on the couch and chair, walking into the room and sitting on the carpet.






Then using the Photoshop layering technique, I managed to put all my Gemma's together in the room.

Multiple Gemma's
Then I wanted to create another multiple exposure shot of Gemma, but this time blending her together, similar to this image taken from the internet:-


This time I had Gemma sit crossed legged in the middle of the floor, where she simply stretched over her arms, one after the other.







When layered together using Photoshop - I was really impressed with the final result :) :)

At first I named this 'Gymnastics Gemma' but changed my mind as she reminded me of an 'Indian Goddess'.
I've been researching a photographer called Christopher Relander.  Using Photoshop he creates such simple but beautiful images by combining one subject, usually a person or animal, together with a flower or plant.

Here's an example of Relander's work:-


This time I used a 'selfie' together with a random tree shot taken outside my college.



Using Photoshop I flipped the tree image upside down, then layered and carefully blended over my 'selfie'.

Cutting out the unwanted background and foreground parts and changing the colour of my head and shoulders to 'black and white', helped to create the following Relander style image.


I'm really happy with this image, it's simple but striking at the same time.


Gemma with Rooftops and Trees

             

'Selfie' with Flowers.


'Flower Face Gemma'


No comments:

Post a Comment